1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup SunButter® (any variety)
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 egg beaten
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda*
1/4 teaspoon baking powder*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar (for dipping)
3/4 cup sunflower kernels
*Sometimes, but not always, the natural chlorophyll contained in sunflower seeds reacts with baking soda and baking powder in the recipe, causing a green color inside the cookies after they cool. This is completely harmless! Depending on the recipe you can reduce baking soda/powder by about one third or a splash of lemon juice may help prevent any “greening”.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat liner; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream margarine, SunButter, brown sugar and corn syrup until light and fluffy. Add egg, mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, stirring to combine. Gradually add to creamed SunButter mixture.
- In small dish or shallow bowl place sugar. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and dip tops in sugar; flatten with glass on cookie sheet and sprinkle with sunflower seed kernels.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on pan slightly before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in airtight container