2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Kosher or fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 seedless cucumber, peeled
1 large carrot, peeled
1/2 cup SunButter, any variety
2 tablespoons chili garlic paste, use divided
1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
Juice of 1 lime
1-1/2 teaspoons ground dried ginger
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1 large egg
¼ cup cilantro leaves, minced
3 green onions, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
Vegetable oil for cooking
Gluten free hamburger buns
1/2 romaine lettuce heart, shredded
IMPORTANT: Check to ensure all individual ingredients are produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut the cucumber into long, thin slices. Cut the strips into thin strips. Place in the vinegar mixture, toss to coat and let sit until ready to serve.
- Cut the carrot into long thin slices with a vegetable peeler and cut into thin strips. Place in a bowl of ice water until ready to serve.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the SunButter, 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste, soy sauce, honey, lime juice, and ground dried ginger. Add water, as needed, a tablespoon at a time, until the sauce is creamy and spreadable. Reserve until serving time.
- Place the drained beans in a mixing bowl and smash with a fork or potato masher. Add the bread crumbs, eggs, cilantro, green onions, garlic, ginger, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of chili garlic paste. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Divide the bean mixture into 6 equal-sized patties. Cook 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain the cucumbers and carrots. Serve the burgers on buns with the sauce, pickled cucumbers, carrots, and shredded lettuce.