Gluten Free Sweet and Spicy SunButter And Carrot Hummus
Start to Finish: 25 Minutes
Servings: 6 Servings
1/2 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and liquid reserved
1/4 cup SunButter, any smooth variety
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or you can use a little of the sauce from some chipotle in adobo sauce)
1 chipotle in adobo sauce pepper, finely minced
1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, minced
- Put the carrots in a small pot with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and let boil until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place the carrots in a food processor along with the garbanzo beans (reserve a few of the garbanzo beans for garnish, if desired), SunButter, 4 tablespoons olive oil, honey, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper, and chipotle chili powder.
- Process until smooth, adding some of the reserved garbanzo bean liquid until the proper texture is achieved (I used 4 tablespoons).
- Place in a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve (can be served right away).
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, the reserved garbanzo beans, the chipotle pepper, and mint. Garnish the hummus with the mixture and serve.