3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (15oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 quart (4 cups or 32oz) chicken broth or stock
1 cup SunButter® Crunch
2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
salt and black pepper to taste
cilantro, chopped, for garnish
green onions, sliced, for garnish
- In large soup pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Salt whole chicken thighs, pat dry and brown in oil, then remove from pot and set aside. Do this in batches so pot is not crowded.
- Add onions to soup pot and sauté in oil for 3 to four minutes, stirring often and scraping bottom of pan. Add ginger and garlic and sauté another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and red pepper, then add tomatoes, chicken broth and SunButter to soup pot. Stir well to completely incorporate SunButter.
- Add sweet potatoes and browned chicken to pot, stir to combine. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer for 60 to 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste broth after 60 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Test chicken for doneness (chicken should be tender and should shred easily). Continue simmering until chicken is tender. Remove from heat and use 2 forks to shred chicken in the pot.
- Garnish each serving with cilantro and green onion and more black pepper if desired.