1 tablespoon chia seeds
3 tablespoons water
1 cup SunButter Creamy or Crunch
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
Additional sugar (if desired) for rolling
NOTE: The chlorophyll that naturally occurs in sunflower seeds may react with baking powder and cause the cookies to turn green inside after cooling. This is completely harmless and does not effect taste.
- In small bowl combine chia seeds with water to make a “chia egg”. Let this mixture sit for at least 15 minutes or even overnight if you prefer until a gel forms.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream together SunButter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add chia seed mixture, salt, and baking powder to bowl. Stir to combine. Sift flour and add to bowl as well. Stir all ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Roll dough into 1-1/2” balls. If desired, roll balls in additional granulated sugar. Place balls on cookie sheet and flatten cookies with a fork to make a crisscross pattern.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool on a rack. Store in airtight container.