1 sheet (1/2 pound) frozen puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator overnight
1 large leek
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 strips turkey bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup SunButter® Creamy (or any smooth variety)
1 scallion, white and light green parts, thinly sliced for garnish
IMPORTANT: Check to ensure all individual ingredients are produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Roll puff pastry on lightly floured surface to 9×12-inch rectangle. Cut into 12 small squares (make 3 cuts lengthwise and 4 cuts across). Press each square into a mini muffin cup. Cover the muffin tray with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge to chill.
- Remove the 1 to 2 outer leaves from the leek and trim off stem end and dark green leaf ends. Quarter the leek lengthwise and thinly slice it. Place pieces in wire colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove any sand. Set aside to drain.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter and oil. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in leek and cook until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in water and use wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits off the bottom; cook until water is evaporated, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in SunButter.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of filling in each pastry-lined muffin cup. Bake until dough is puffed and golden, about 20 to 24 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before removing bites from muffin tin. Garnish top of each bite with scallion and serve.