1/2 cup amaranth flour*
1/2 cup teff flour*
1/4 cup brown rice flour*
1/4 cup tapioca flour*
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter at room temperature (you can substitute non-dairy butter, coconut oil, or palm shortening)
1/4 cup SunButter® (any creamy variety)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
3 to 4 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional: you can use vanilla extract plus 1 tablespoon cocoa powder instead)
SunButter® (any variety)
*Substitute 1-1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend for all four flours
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, SunButter and sugar. Add flour(s), cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, honey, and chocolate extract (if using) and blend well. Taste and add more chocolate extract until strong enough.
- If dough is still crumbly, slowly add water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough will hold together. Do not get it too wet or the dough will stick.
- Place 1/3 of dough onto a piece of parchment paper and place another layer of parchment paper over the top.
- Roll dough between parchment paper until it is 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick.
- Remove top paper. Use a cookie cutter or pizza cutter to cut cookie shapes and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat. (You can save cookie cutter scraps to re-roll.)
- Repeat the rolling and cutting process until you have used all of the dough. If desired, imprint half. We did “MOREOS” since we think less is more.
- Bake for about 13 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Stir SunButter in jar until well blended and smooth. Spread 1 teaspoon SunButter on half of cookies, top with other cookies.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. (Cookies can also be frozen.)
You can make the cookies in advance to assemble later.