1 cup shortening
1 cup SunButter® (we used No Sugar Added)
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda*
*Sometimes, but not always, the natural chlorophyll contained in sunflower seeds reacts with baking soda in the recipe, causing a green color inside the cookies after they cool. This is completely harmless! Depending on the recipe you can reduce baking soda by about one third or a splash of lemon juice may help prevent any “greening”.
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together shortening and SunButter. Gradually add sugars, blending well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Add vanilla.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour and baking soda. Stir into SunButter mixture.
- Divide dough into two parts. Roll out to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut out with your lightly floured cookie cutter of choice, place on baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from sheets, cool and decorate!
- Store in airtight container.