Frosted Caramel Apple Blondies
Start to Finish:
- 1 heaping cup peeled and chopped honey crisp apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbsp Natural SunButter
2 tbsp coconut cream *the thick cream from a can of coconut milk
1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter, room temp
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup Natural SunButter
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup oat flour, certified gluten free
3/4 cup quick oats, certified gluten free
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Combine the ingredients to make the Cinnamon Apples in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Stir and cook for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant and the apples start to become tender.
- Transfer the apples to a bowl and reserve the saucepan for the caramel.
- In that same saucepan (it’s ok if there are some cinnamon sugar bits in the pot), add the maple syrup, SunButter, and coconut cream.
- Place over medium heat and whisk until everything is melted together.
- Continue to whisk occasionally and allow the mixture to bubble. Once bubbling, the caramel should start to thicken.
- Remove the caramel once it coats the back of a spoon. Pour it into a heat safe dish and transfer the caramel to the refrigerator to chill while we make the blondies.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and line an 8×8 baking sheet with parchment paper. Allow the paper to reach over the sides for easy removal.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the SunButter, apple sauce, and brown sugar.
- Once combined, stir in the eggs and vanilla.
- Toss in the oat flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt and stir to combine. Then fold in the cinnamon apples.
- Transfer to the baking pan and spread the batter evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before making the frosting. They can be cooled slowly at room temp or sped up in the refrigerator.
- Add the room temperature butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar to a mixing bowl. The butter should be soft enough to mix by hand, but an electric mixer can also be used.
- Once smooth, mix in the additional cup of powdered sugar followed by the vanilla and salt.
- By this time, the caramel should be completely chilled. Spoon half of the caramel into the frosting and mix until smooth.
- Spread the frosting on top of the blondies and then drizzle with the excess caramel. Swirl the caramel into the frosting and top with a few pinches of cinnamon (optional).
- Now slice and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup Natural SunButter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour, certified gluten free
- 3/4 cup quick oats, certified gluten free
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt