For the Chocolate Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups (156 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ¼ cup (20 g) cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon (70 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 g) Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup (64 g) Organic SunButter
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup (110 g) finely shredded carrots
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup (112 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz (113 g) cream cheese, cold
- 2 cups (240 g) Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- Chocolate shavings, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners. Then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then set aside the dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar with an electric hand mixer on high speed until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add in the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium-high speed until smooth and pale in color, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Add in the Organic SunButter and buttermilk and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and combine on low speed.
- Then add in the shredded carrots, and fold into the batter with a spatula.
- Evenly distribute the cupcake batter between the cupcake liners. Each liner will be about three-quarters full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the centers. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Add the butter to a large bowl and whip on high speed with an electric mixer until pale in color and fluffy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Then add in the cream cheese and mix on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Sift in Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar, a little at a time, and mix on low then medium-low speed until all is combined.
- Once all is combined, mix on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy, 1-2 more minutes. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe a generous amount of cream cheese frosting onto each.
- Sprinkle the tops with chocolate shavings. Then, serve!