Homemade Pie Crusts
2 Homemade Pie Crusts Doughs add 1 tsp Cinnamon to one of the crusts
Apples cored and slices
1 Cup (256 grams) Organic Sunflower Butter stirred
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup (110 grams) Light Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Large Egg beaten with a fork
Granulated Sugar for sprinkling
IMPORTANT: Check to ensure all individual ingredients are produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility.
Pie Crust Dough
- Make 2 pie crusts. Add 1 tsp of ground cinnamon to one of the batches.
- Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hr before rolling.
Make Apple Hand Pies
- In a medium bowl combine sunflower butter, nutmeg, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir to form a paste. Set aside.
- Whisk together brown sugar, lemon juice, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add apple slices and gently toss with hand to coat with mixture. Set aside.
- Choose one or both of your pie crusts to form bottom layer. Either is fine, just take half of your dough from fridge and roll out onto floured surface.
- Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness. Measure and cut ‘four’ 5 inch by 6 inch rectangles. You could also do ‘eight’ 3 inch by 4 inch rectangles if you prefer smaller pies.
- Place rectangles on parchment paper lined trays and save left over dough for lattice.
- Spread a 1/8 inch layer of sunflower butter spread onto the center of the dough, leaving a 1/2 – 2/3 inch border. Use a small rubber spatula to prevent tearing.
- Place sliced sugar coated apples in a row from top to bottom down the sunflower butter spread.
- Roll out the remaining dough to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- Brush a thin layer of egg wash on the bare dough around the sunflower butter spread.
- Alternate lattice with strips of plain pie crust and strips of cinnamon pie crust. Lay one type of crust strips diagonally across apples. Then on the opposite diagonal, weave strips over and under until lattice is formed. Cut the excess overhang of dough strips form the rectangle.
- Press the lattice gently onto the egg washed bottom pastry layer. Smooth the edges with your fingers.
- Apply a thin coating of egg wash across the lattice, sprinkle with sugar.
- Place trays in the fridge to firm the dough for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 425 F (218 C).
- Bake pies on middle rack for 10 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 375 F (190 C) and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden and firm.
- Place trays on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before serving.