1/2 cup nondairy buttery spread
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons SunButter® Organic
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons nondairy milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds (908g) strawberries, de-stemmed, washed and dried
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons tapioca flour or cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons SunButter® Organic
1-1/2 tablespoons nondairy buttery spread
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch glass baking dish. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start the filling by slicing the strawberries about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick. Put a heaping cup in a food processor or blender. Puree to make 1-1/3 cups total. Put the remaining strawberries in a large bowl.
- Put the buttery spread, SunButter, confectioners’ sugar, brown sugar, nondairy milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl. Using the stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat until smooth.
- Put the sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the mixture to the SunButter mixture. Beat on low speed until well combined. The mixture will be thick and smooth, similar to a drop cookie dough.
- Take about a quarter of the mixture and breaking it into teaspoonfuls, spread it in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the glass baking dish, about 1/2-inch thick. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes for the crumbles and 18 to 20 minutes for the crust, taking them out at their respective times when starting to brown on the edges and slightly firm to the touch. The crust will have puffed up—this is normal.
- Take a spatula and gently press down the bottom of the crust to flatten. Let cool while finishing the filling.
- To finish the filling, scrape the puree into a medium saucepan. Add the water, sugar, tapioca flour, and lemon juice, mixing until no lumps remain. Bring the mixture to medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it starts to bubble. Let boil for 1 minute, whisking. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Pour the thickened strawberry puree over the other strawberries in the bowl. Mix until well-coated. Scrape the mixture into the crust. Top with the cookie crumbs, breaking large pieces if needed, and pressing down slightly. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- The caramel topping can be made any time after 3 hours. To make it, put the SunButter, nondairy buttery spread, brown sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and cook, whisking about every 20 seconds, until the mixture visibly starts to thicken, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes, then drizzle the mixture over the top of the pie. Return the pie to the refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve, storing leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.