SUNBUTTER PUMPKIN FILLING
1/2 cup SunButter® Organic
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted finely chopped (see Note)
6oz (about 1 cup) nondairy dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Note: To toast the sunflower seeds, preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 6 minutes, checking after 5 minutes. Remove when fragrant, transferring to a plate to cool. Once cool, use a food processor or a knife to finely chop.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Put the sunflower seeds in a medium bowl.
- To make the filling, put the SunButter, pumpkin puree, confectioners’ sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine. The mixture will be thick. Spoon the filling onto the baking sheet, about 1 tablespoonful each. Put in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the filling will be easier to handle. Remove the filling from the freezer and roll each tablespoonful in the sunflower seeds, using your palms to form a ball. Put the ball onto the baking sheet, repeat with the remaining filling, and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Near the end of the 20 minutes, make the coating. Put the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals on medium-power, stirring between each one, until the mixture is melted and smooth. You can also do this in a double boiler on the stovetop.
- Remove the balls from the freezer. Fill a 1/2 cup dry measuring cup with the chocolate mixture. Carefully dip each ball in the chocolate mixture in the measuring cup, then transfer back to the pan. Repeat with the remaining balls, filling the measuring up when needed. (Not dipping directly in the melted chocolate will prevent it from cooling too quickly or seizing). If desired, sprinkle sunflower seeds on the balls before they are set. Refrigerate or freeze to set completely.
- Enjoy, storing leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.